Friday, February 27, 2009

Let's talk about Sex


I think a boy would feel more natural for us to raise.

If we have a girl, she will no doubt be a Tom-boy because that is how I am. You can bet that mom will teach her how to garden, cook, fish, love animals and of course use a hammer, drill, and tape measure and soon as she can understand what those things are!

It thrills me to have a little one that I can TEACH how to grow food, cook, build, and to create. Have a young imagination around us will bring such tremendous joy.

We are most excited to find out the sex because then we can start to narrow down names and stop saying “little one”, “the baby”, “he/she”, “it” and we can use a name.

Believe me this has not been easy task to date. Since the beginning of our relationship we have discussed names, and this year will make it four years of discussion. No pressure.

We are pretty solid on a girl’s middle name being Laurel Josephine after my grandmothers. And for a long time we settled on Isabella. But my heart thinks that we should name her Abigail in honor of Gabe’s little sister that didn’t survive. I have always like the name Abigail, and I also like Abby as a nick name.

Boy name have been a real struggle. We both want to honor our grandfathers, this is of key importance to us. His grandfather was Harold, and mine is Charlie (legally Charles). Since the very beginning of our relationship Gabe asked that Harold be the middle name. But you wouldn’t believe how hard it is to match Harold Strine to a first name we both like.

I love the name Charlie, but do not like the name Charles, and especially do not like Chuck. All advice to us has been to not name our child something that we don't like or that could have a nickname we don't like. Well that pretty much takes Charles out of the picture. And Gabe is against putting Charlie as a legal name on the birth certificate.

Charlie Harold Strine doesn’t strike me as a good name.

It occurred to me the other night, why not combine Charlie and Harold into Harlie as a middle name. Clearly I already love that name and it sounds good: ____ Harlie Strine.

Some other considerations:
Oliver (Olly for short)
Jack
Samuel (Sam for short)
Logan
Avery

Ruled out names:
Montgomery (although I still love this name) (Monte for short)
Jackson
Owen (I still love this name, but Gabe’s best friend’s little boy is Owen)
Abraham (yeah this lasted about 2 seconds)


I am open to your suggestions!

6 comments:

  1. Several people I know who didn't find out the sex of their baby until it was born used a nickname for the unborn baby. There was "Tobert" (Tobias or Tovah*), "Parkabella" (Parker* or Bella), "Elmo" (Violet*), and "Dweezy" (Corbin*).

    Regarding honoring family names that you don't like as much: some traditions use derivatives or just the first letter of the family member's name. So instead of Charles, you could do another "C" name, like Caleb or Chas or Calvin or something.

    If you haven't found it already, play with the Baby Name Voyager:
    http://www.babynamewizard.com/voyager

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always liked the name Theodore. Could you have two middle names for your boy as well?
    _________ Charlie Harold Strine

    I do like Abigail. Isabelle and Isabella seem very trendy right now- I seem to have met a lot of little girls with that name. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

    So excited for whoever this little bebe turns out to be!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I grew up with a less common name and really liked that aspect. There are so many girls being named Isabell/a right now, that I would steer clear of it, personally. I love Tricia's suggestion of using Charlie as a second middle name. Harlie seems like a good choice, too, if Gabe's onboard with it. I think "Andrew" sounds very nice with Harold Strine, too. Honestly, I like all of the boy names you picked, with the exception of Avery.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mom's ex husband (who is a crazy a-hole) was Theodore. And it is my little brother's middle name. That is not an option.

    You are both right with the popularity of Isabella, it makes me less likely to go with it. I still think Abigail should be the girls name.

    Funny Lorna, I thought of Andrew too, but I know Gabe won't go for it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ____Harlie Strine sounds great to me! Some of the names that you had on the list did not sound like a name you would choose. Logan or Avery Harlie sound fine. But I bet you will have a girl seeing that you want a boy so darn bad :OP If babies are in my future I hope to name them something from the renaissance don't know what.... Or Landon and Lilly. Heart Ya both! Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree, you can do two middle names. My niece Bella has two middle names and my boyfriend has the longest name ever. He has a traditional family name that moved over when there wasn't a boy on one side of the family so his birth certificate looks like this: First name, Middle name, Great-Uncle's last name V, HIS last name III. You should see his passport when we travel! If he and several other members of his family can deal with all of THAT without any problems with the paperwork than having two middle names will NOT be a problem for your little one.

    ReplyDelete