Wednesday, March 18, 2009

WICKED


The first weekend in March some of my friends (Lisa, Tricia, Katie, Quyann, Emily) and I flew to Portland to see WICKED, the off Broadway show that is the most mind blowing-ly amazing show I have ever seen in my life, hands down.

Think of the complete opporsite of story of the Wizard of Oz and you might be on the right track. It is the story of the Wicked Witch of the West (Elphaba). Of course you couldn't tell Elphaba's story without also telling much the story of Glinda the Good Witch because the two have parallel stories and their lives are intertwined, and it showcased how great a story can be when you place two perfect opposites together on a stage. How nicely they compliment one another. So far in my lifetime, it is the best show ever written about friendship, sprinkled with a little love, lies, betrayal, forgiveness, and hope.

I will keep this brief since I could go on and on about it I will spare you from the babble.

Wicked was so so so so good! The Portland cast was superb, the singing was phenomenal (better than the original soundtrack in my opinion), the lighting and sets were insane and the music was fantastic.

I have listened to the soundtrack everyday since and each time I hear it something else will catch my ear and put me in awe of the composers.

I laughed, I gasped, I cried and by the end of the show every single person in the audience was in tears, men included! I started getting emotional about 3 songs into the show and I was hooked in almost immediately. I knew it was going to be amazing after the first song started and the curtains opened and I heard the cast and saw the sets. BINGO! Twists, turns, suspense - this show had it all!

If you haven’t seen it, you simply must go. If you have seen it, then you get it and know exactly what I am talking about. I am now in the cult following of WICKED and intend on seeing as many times possible in my lifetime!

I have a playlist on the right hand side of the blog that has a snippet of songs from the show. Although the original cast are great singers, I think that the Portland cast did a better job!

1 comment:

  1. You know, Wicked is playing in Seattle September 2 - October 4. I think you might be a little busy, though.

    I love, love, love Wicked and am so glad I could be there to share the experience with you!

    ReplyDelete