Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Ch..Ch..Ch..Changes


The Strine world is full of change lately.

Gabe was laid off of work a few weeks ago and we are looking at this as the push needed for him to do his freelance graphic designing...full time. Which was the plan all along by the end of the year. It is scary, and financially trying, but I pray that it will work out for the best in the end.

Lay offs are also happening at my work. And for today, I still have a job, and I am thankful for that.

We decided to add Gabe onto my insurance...which is costing us $300 out of pocket every month. Our monthly budget has been cut by $2300! That is scary if you think about it. But thankfully while Gabe is seeking work, unemployment counts for $1000 - for now. SUPER SCARY.

We started and finished the nursery. Pictures and details will be posted soon.

We ripped out the main floor bathroom and have replaced the cabinets, sink, and faucet so far. The we will be puttin on our 4th coat of paint on tonight. The first two coats were St. Patrick's Day green, I kid you not. Gabe wanted something bold and I thought why not try it. But in the end having my eyes stop bleeding was more important that having a bold choice of wall color. The green was nixed last night and we coated the walls with primer in preparation for the stormy blue we will be painting later tonight. What can I say, blue matches everything if it is the right shade.

Dad and Gabe worked all day yesterday getting the new cabinets, the sink and the faucet installed. It was a nice surprise to come home to yesterday! What a huge difference that has made already.

SIDE NOTE:
While normally working on house projects is totally my thing at our house, I am limited with my pregnancy in doing things I would normally do, such as no heavy lifting, nothing strenuous, and an over protective dad to be. I will admit, I lack a certain patience with Gabe when it comes to working on projects, especially if they need to be done quickly.

I try really hard, but we think differently in that way. He is an artist,a dreamer, a creator, I am hands on, get dirty and get it done kind of gal. Most at home projects just make sense to me and come easily, but for him it is a longer process. Now add into the mix: pregnancy hormones, my feeling of uselessness and it can make for a nasty cocktail. We did pretty well working on the nursery, even though we had to stop to have several conversations about how we were not working as a team.

The good thing is we can recognize our differences, and we make an effort at communicating and trying to work with what we were given.

CONTINUED:
We have the flooring picked out, but need to finish painting first. The floor is next, then the toilet, the toe kicks and the moulding. We should easily be able to wrap this up this weekend. And then we take a break!! A nice long break sounds nice.

I will post pictures of both of our latest projects soon. Maybe next week after all is said and done project wise.

That is all for now folks. Stay tuned for another gripping episode of the Life of Strine's.

1 comment:

  1. You will be in my thoughts. Hope all works out!

    ReplyDelete